Scholarship Winner Mariana Rocha

Congratulations Mariana!

Congratulations to our Brookside Optometric Scholarship contest winner, Mariana Rocha! Chosen on the basis of her outstanding character and work ethic, Mariana will receive a $1000 scholarship awarded by Brookside Optometric Group.

Thank you to everyone who participated in our scholarship contest. Each of our nominees was very deserving, and choosing a winner from this outstanding group was a difficult task. Best of luck to each of you as you graduate High School and move on to your future endeavors!

Jaxon Haws

Jaxon Haws

High School
Venture Academy

Nominated by
Heather Fogg
Jaxon Haws's Teacher

Jaxon is the kind of student we wish we could clone for our classrooms. His grades are outstanding as he has taken many AP courses and completed 32 Univ credits in our dual enrollment program. His commitment to his education is beyond dedicated as he has driven over 35,000 miles the last 3 years so that he could continue attending Venture Academy and fulfill his extracurricular duties.

Over the last 4 years, Jaxon has been an integral part of the Mock Trial team, helping our school win county and compete at the state level and international levels for all 4 years. He was named Best Bailiff in the state for 2019. As one of the founding members of the group that started the Junior High Mock Trial program in San Joaquin County, Jaxon is very involved in writing, coaching and judging for the event. He also helps run the Mock Trial Academies for junior high students each summer.

Outside of school Jaxon has been active in Scouts and holds the rank of Eagle Scout. He was also a member of the San Joaquin County Sheriff's Explorers program. As he moves on to the university and becoming a computer engineer, I have no doubt he will definitely make a positive mark in the world. He is a person of high morals and integrity and someone we should all aspire to emulate.

Comments 106

Guest - Priti Kumar on Monday, 01 April 2019 18:31

Jaxon is one of the most driven people I know. He is intelligent in so many ways and is capable of doing anything he is determined to do. Having him as one of my peers has allowed me to watch him Excel in so many ways, especially as a mock trial teammate.

Guest - Dorian Mendoza on Monday, 01 April 2019 18:39

Jaxon Haws is one of the smartest, hardworking, and kind people that I know. I have no doubts that he will do great things in the future!

Guest - Connor Wright on Monday, 01 April 2019 18:41

I'm a sophomore at Venture Academy and I've looked up at Jaxon for a couple of years now. He's a motivator for academic excellence and has brought up our Mock Trial team (now ranked 5th in the world) to what it is today. He's also been there for homework questions from AP Computer Science, Chemistry, Calculus and Mock Trial. When Jaxon graduates this year we will be missing a big part of our team and class.

Guest - Victoria Thornton on Monday, 01 April 2019 18:47

Jaxon is an extremely inspirational person, and his hard-working attitude is something that I wish I had. He’s intelligent, dedicated, and patient with other people.

Guest - Kay Miller on Monday, 01 April 2019 18:55

I'm a freshman at Venture Academy, but in the time I've known Jaxon, it has shone through that he is the most hardworking and committed individual I know, his effort is admirable and I hope to learn from him while I still have the opportunity to.

Guest - Hunter Wright on Monday, 01 April 2019 18:57

Jaxon Haws is by far one of the most fun to be around people I've ever met in my life. As his neighbor and as a fellow student at Venture Academy High School, I have grown to love and respect him. He is a hard worker and a talented student.

Guest - Sylvia Thornton on Monday, 01 April 2019 18:58

In my first year of Mock Trial, Jaxon has always been there to answer my questions and help me when I need it. He is a very hardworking and intelligent person. He will no doubt do well in the path he chooses.

Guest - Sarah Kinney on Monday, 01 April 2019 19:06

As a very close friend of Jaxon's, I have learned that Jaxon is someone who has always strived to accomplish as much as he can and help everyone around him do the same. In the past 4 years, I've watched him earn around a half dozen individual awards within Mock trial, earn his Eagle Scout, and maintain a 4.19 GPA through 6 AP classes and 8 College classes. But his personal accomplishments are by no means all that define him, as he has been a valuable leader and mentor in many areas in his life. He has been a rock for his Mock Trial team, having been a performing member of the Varsity team for all 4 years of high school, and he has aided in planning, writing, and running the first ever Jr. High Mock Trial competition for San Joaquin County. Concurrent with Mrs. Fogg's nomination, he is truly someone to look up to and I have no doubt about the positive impact he has and will leave both in our community and wherever his life takes him.

Guest - Priscila Alcaraz on Monday, 01 April 2019 19:06

I havn't known Jaxon for a long time but it doesn't take much to realize how motivated and driven he is to be the very best he can be. I personally look up to Jaxon and admire his success he will only grow from here.

Guest - Mariah Jimenez on Monday, 01 April 2019 19:38

Jaxon is a great student and person. Jaxon is one of the few people I know that is willing to take the time out of his day to help you with whatever he can. He is one of the most respectful and responsible people I know. I have know Jaxon for 3 years now and through those three years I have seen him grow as a person. We are in Mock Trial together in which he has earn multiple award and he is a great team player. I am very glad I got to meet Jaxon because I know he’s going to to amazing things in the future

Guest - Max Mersmann-Jones on Monday, 01 April 2019 19:46

Jaxon is a man of almost mythical levels of talent. He is deeply gifted at both educational activities and recreational ones. I have never come into contact with a being, living or dead, as worthy as Jaxon.

Guest - Kevin Cragun on Monday, 01 April 2019 20:24

Jaxon is a fine young man and one of the most responsible teenage boys I’ve known. I’ve known and worked with Jaxon since he was 11 years old when he came with us on his first Boy Scout campout to the Klondike Derby at Pinecrest. He joined right in with the older boys and participated fully in all the events. While Jaxon is a very friendly and easy going young man, he is also very motivated to succeed in his many endeavors. He has participated in mock trial throughout high school which has afforded him the opportunity to travel and work in the courtroom as a member of a trial team. Jaxon has also participated in the Sherriff Explorer program through the San Joaquin Sherriff’s Office. He’s done this while maintaining active participation in his troop and taking college courses while in high school. During his Eagle Project Jaxon displayed real leadership by taking other scouts to locations to leave drop boxes and collect flags. He acted in a manner that was dignified and respectful. Jaxon was a fine example of what a good Boy Scout is and served as a great ambassador for scouting while in the community. The actual flag retirement ceremony was respectful and well organized. The members of the local VFW where the flag retirement ceremony was held were amazed at Jaxon’s maturity and even nature. Jaxon is an amazing young man and I am excited to see how he progresses in life. If the past is any indication of the future than he will no doubt succeed.
Guest - Chloe Anderson on Monday, 01 April 2019 20:31

Jaxon is one of the kindest, brightest, most inspiring people I have ever met. It is my personal belief that he will change the world through his hard work, wit, and determination. Since Jaxon has such a well rounded understanding of a wide range of subjects and practical areas of life, he is a highly recommended person in whom his peers can receive advice and help from. Jaxon has an undeniablely bright future that his teachers, community members, and fellow students all recognize. His brilliant and trustworthy characteristics will make him an asset anywhere he chooses to invest his time and work in.

Guest - Joy Sasser on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 09:44

I totally agree with you chloe

I totally agree with you chloe :)
Guest - Andrea Logan on Monday, 01 April 2019 20:33

I have known Jax since he was a child. Jax is an amazing person. He is polite, respectful, kind, generous and incredibly intelligent. I have tremendous respect for him. Anything he sets his mind to, he can accomplish. He is an amazingly hard working young man that has a great future ahead of him.

Guest - Cole Mattila on Monday, 01 April 2019 20:47

Jaxon has been a solid friend in my life. He has helped me stay competitive on the academic and community levels, along with encouraging me to be social. Jaxon delights in the opportunity to excel and enjoys a solid challenge. However, he doesn't let any of his obvious brilliance go to his head, being more than willing to help others out. Getting to know Jaxon as a freshman and developing our relationship has been a wonderful aspect of my high school experience. I look forward to seeing him flourish as a leader and member of our community.

Guest - Kim Emerson on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 07:56

An outstanding young man that is determined and driven in all that he does!

An outstanding young man that is determined and driven in all that he does!
Guest - Heather on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 08:13

I highly recommend Jaxon for any scholarship. Jaxon is the kind of student every teacher wished they could clone and have in every class. Not only i he a leader, but he is polite, respectful, hard working, intelligent, compassionate and he will make a difference. I know that whichever school Jaxon chooses will be a better place because he is there and he will leave a positive mark on that community.

Guest - Kimberly Scott on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 08:32

I couldn't think of anyone that deserves it more. Good Luck Jaxon!!!

I couldn't think of anyone that deserves it more. Good Luck Jaxon!!!
Guest - Colleen Merritt on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 08:42

I had the pleasure of having Jaxon in my middle school U.S. History class. He is an AMAZING student and an exceptional young man. He is very deserving of this scholarship! I can't wait to see what his very bright future holds!

Guest - Jennifer Tereba on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 09:06

Great kid who has been active in contributing to his very broad community - from school to community organizations and volunteerism. Motivated and hard working, certainly deserving of recognition.

Guest - Brian Basinger on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 09:09

Jaxon is a good friend of ours at Venture Academy. He is a very helpful and outgoing student. He plays a big role in the ecosystem of Venture Academy. Jaxon is very intelligent and determined and I hope to see him win this scholarship! :)
Guest - Joy Sasser on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 09:10

I just met Jaxon this year and he has only been an outstanding peer. I took AP Chemistry with Jaxon and never once did he hesitate to help those who were lost or needed guidance. He's a dedicated student and I think everyone can tell. He works hard to earn everything he has and he's an inspiration to those around him.

Guest - Briana Castillo on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 09:35

Jaxon is a great student who is very helpful to other students. I have known him all four years of high school and he has been a great help.

Guest - Isaiah Rivera on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 09:36

What a broski! A total package, and deserving of this scholarship. He is always very insightful with his knowledge and is always willing to share it with those who ask. He is the definitely the candidate that will put this money to the best use, and the most deserving of it.

Guest - Kierra on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 09:37

Jaxon is a hardworking, kindhearted, helpful individual that will help without any hesitation. He is a very dedicated student that cares about his grades. For his effort, I hope to see Jaxon win the scholarship to continue his schooling.

Guest - Odalys Gonzalez on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 09:37

Jaxon is a great student and well determined. I've had him in multiple classes and know he is a hard worker. Throughout the years he has always been an encouraging and he never stops trying to excel.

Guest - Patricia Guerra on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 09:41

Jaxon is a very great guy, and is extremely helpful.

Jaxon is a very great guy, and is extremely helpful.
Guest - Joel Gutierrez on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 09:41

I hear lots of great stories about Jaxon... It seems like he is a great determined guy. He always seems to be working hard and focused.

Guest - Gregory Guajardo on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 09:41

My buddy Jaxon and I go way back. I remember all the extra time he spent helping me, guiding me to refer to my textbook. I credit my success to him telling me to look in my notes. He really encouraged me to be a better student and motivated me to try my hardest in every class. ;)
Guest - Emily Castaneda on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 09:44

Jaxon is a very intelligent and driven individual.

Jaxon is a very intelligent and driven individual.
Guest - jake morgali on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 09:44

I have only known Jaxon for 2 years, but within that time I feel as though I have gotten to know him very well. Wether I need help with driver's education, how to present myself better, or how to prepare for the SAT, Jaxon is always willing to help and is there to answer my questions. He is of extreme talent and is an amazing person. He's driven and loving. Overall, he's just a great guy.

Guest - Gissell Gutierrez on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 09:45

Jaxon is a marvelous student! I've had most of my AP classes with him and he never hesitates to help me. He is a great candidate for this scholarship and deserves nothing but the best.

Guest - Kendall Stahl on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 09:49

Jaxon is an incredibly talented student. His motivation and drive are evident in everything that he does. He treats people with kindness and respect and is always willing to help his fellow students in any way he can.

Guest - David Thomas Norris on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 10:05

Jaxon is a model student who is very smart and has intergrity

Jaxon is a model student who is very smart and has intergrity
Guest - Anna Garcia on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 11:01

Being a classmate of Jaxon, he is always involved and willing to help out classmates. He takes time out of his day to be the best supporter he can and ensures everyone feels welcome.

Guest - Natalie Flores on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 11:08

Jaxon is kind and intelligent.

Jaxon is kind and intelligent.
Guest - Alana Morales on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 11:10

As a junior at Venture Academy, I've know jaxon for 3 years now and he has always been doing something more than whats expected in high school as far as both mock trial and AP Courses. Jaxon has always been committed to not only bettering himself but helping those around him improve.

Guest - Natalie Flores on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 11:11

Jaxon is kind and intelligent.

Jaxon is kind and intelligent.
Guest - Mike on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 11:25

Fabulous student!! I hope he wins! He deserves it!!!

Fabulous student!! I hope he wins! He deserves it!!!
Guest - Vina Young on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 11:29

Jaxon Haws is a very intelligent and talented individual. I may not know him well but, I am aware of his academic achievements and the all the hard work and effort he puts into the activities he does. He also is a very kind person and often helps his fellow students. Jaxon has a bright future ahead of him.

Guest - Ulysses Gonzalez on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 11:37

I’ve know Jaxon since my freshman year and he’s a cool dude. He doesn’t judge people off of looks and treats everyone like he’s known them their entire life. Jaxon is a committed person who try’s his best at whatever he does.

Guest - Rigoberto Ruiz on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 11:40

Jackson rocks. He’s ready for any problem that’s thrown at him. 💪

Jackson rocks. He’s ready for any problem that’s thrown at him. 💪
Guest - Miriam on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 12:19

Go Jaxon!!! You deserve to win!

Go Jaxon!!! You deserve to win!
Guest - Sergio on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 12:21

I hope you win, Jaxon!

I hope you win, Jaxon!
Guest - syd on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 12:23

i hope you win

i hope you win
Guest - stefiney on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 12:24

i hope you win jaxon

i hope you win jaxon ;)
Guest - sydney casaes on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 12:25

i hope you win

i hope you win :D
Guest - Jared Pugh on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 12:47

I have met few people that have shown more dedication to their school than Jaxon. He is an incredibly well-rounded student who enjoys a wide variety of subjects and has played an important role in helping our Mock Trial team place well in important competitions, such as Empire New York (5th place) and the State Mock Trial Competition (6th place) that is run by CRF. It is very impressive what he has accomplished in the past four years, and I do not think he is stopping any time soon. He is a great friend and has great connections with a lot of the other students at Venture Academy.

Guest - Willy jaimes on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 13:48

Jaxon has always been a cool and smart guy.

Jaxon has always been a cool and smart guy.
Guest
Wednesday, 23 October 2019

Captcha Image

Female student in library

Full Details

This scholarship is open to students currently enrolled as a senior in high school in San Joaquin County for the 2019 graduating year. Students may be enrolled in public or private schools, or be home-schooled. Nominations must be successfully uploaded to the entry page by midnight on March 31, 2019.

To be considered for the scholarship, all students must be nominated by a teacher, coach, guidance counselor, pastor, or youth leader (immediate family members and relatives are not eligible to submit nominations). Nominations will be posted on the contest website and receive community feedback during the period from April 1-15, 2019.

One scholarship winner will be chosen by Brookside Optometric Group doctors based on their nomination and community feedback. The scholarship and funds will be presented to the winner in person in early May 2019—exact date to be determined by the winner.

Brookside Optometric Group doctors are committed to you and your eye health, and to the community we share. From college scholarship contests like this one to medical mission trips around the globe, we believe in giving back and making a difference.

Learn more about Community Involvement at Brookside Optometric Group