Scholarship Winner Mariana Rocha

Congratulations Mariana!

Congratulations to our Brookside Optometric Scholarship contest winner, Mariana Rocha! Chosen on the basis of her outstanding character and work ethic, Mariana will receive a $1000 scholarship awarded by Brookside Optometric Group.

Thank you to everyone who participated in our scholarship contest. Each of our nominees was very deserving, and choosing a winner from this outstanding group was a difficult task. Best of luck to each of you as you graduate High School and move on to your future endeavors!

Dawson Mix

Dawson Mix

High School
East Union Manteca

Nominated by
Jeff Elling
Dawson Mix's Youth Leader

Dawson is a young man who will one day be in a position of deserved leadership. Integrity, truthfulness, keen awareness of situations and a voice of reason in this unsettled world, I believe that Dawson will be valuable to many people in many ways. He cares about people and exhibits the rarest of traits, humility. This is the base from which he begins his efforts and looks at what he can do for others. I will be honest in saying that his Christian faith is real and he strives to live the principles taught to us in the Judeo-Christian ethic. Sadly, this is rare and sorely missed in our world of today. Solidly grounded and compassionate, these traits endear him to all who serve alongside him.

Dawson has recently had the lead in a play/ musical at his high school in his first attempt at drama there. He was selected for leadership camp. He was a leader on his JROTC athletic squad, is in two different bands, has a job, and has led games and skits for our church vacation Bible school. Through all these things I have seen his confidence in taking on challenges. This is not something many take on willingly. He is composed and will do what he says he will, he is dependable.

I have worked with youth off and on for over 20 years. Dawson is the most exceptional and promising young person of character that I have ever worked with (except my daughter).

Please, if you interview these young entrants, I encourage you to talk with Dawson. I believe you will see the fine person that I know will be fruitful in his endeavors.

Comments 90

Guest - Ann Johnson on Monday, 01 April 2019 20:01

Dawson is a wonderful young man. He will do well in life.

Dawson is a wonderful young man. He will do well in life.
Guest - Cathy Sanders on Monday, 01 April 2019 20:10

I have had the joy of watching Dawson grow into an amazing young man. His future is so bright and I am very proud of the kind and responsible man he has become.

Guest - Gurpinder Maan on Monday, 01 April 2019 20:14

He's a really cool individual.

He's a really cool individual.
Guest - Cathy Lawson on Monday, 01 April 2019 20:19

Dawson is one of the most genuine young men I have ever met. His wonderfully kind, humble and endearing spirit will lead him to do great things in his future, I have no doubt. He deserves this.

Guest - Emily on Monday, 01 April 2019 20:23

Dawson is the kindest and most warm-hearted person i have ever met. He always goes above and beyond to not only achieve his own goals, but also to keep those around him smiling. I can assure that this young man is going to accomplish everything he wants in life:)
Guest - Johnnie howard on Monday, 01 April 2019 20:31

I've had the pleasure of watching Dawson grow up to be a fine young man. He's very talented in his music and recently I seen him play Seymour in Little Shop of Horror. He's been taught good values raised in the church and he will be a blessing to our society.

Guest - Breanna Vautour on Monday, 01 April 2019 20:44

Dawson is an exceptional young man who I feel more than deserves this scholarship award!

Guest - Nolan on Monday, 01 April 2019 20:45

Great kid! Outstanding charectar and is an asset in whatever he does!

Great kid! Outstanding charectar and is an asset in whatever he does!
Guest - Ozzie on Monday, 01 April 2019 21:02

This guy is great! Since science camp in 5th grade to AP Literature

This guy is great! Since science camp in 5th grade to AP Literature
Guest - Isaac Diaz on Monday, 01 April 2019 21:58

Dawson is a good leader and always looks to help others around him improve in whatever they need help in.

Guest - Brandon Bean on Monday, 01 April 2019 22:11

I feel that Dawson is very deserving of this scholarship. He is very active in school functions and activities and is a very hard working individual.

Guest - Person on Monday, 01 April 2019 22:17

yeah i vote for him

:) yeah i vote for him
Guest - Joseph Hardy on Monday, 01 April 2019 22:18

It is with great pleasure that I speak on behalf of my good friend Dawson Mix. He is a natural leader and a very hard worker who strives to do his best at everything he does. Dawson Mix is a prime example of a student with great character, as he is generous, outgoing, and compassionate. These traits are what made Dawson Mix the very first friend I made upon entering high school. It has been a privilege getting to know him for the past four years and watch his character grow along with his intelligence, as he has passed many difficult Advanced Placement classes. Dawson Mix is a student with a lot of potential who can make a huge positive impact in the world and is very deserving of this scholarship.

Guest - Caren Berger on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 03:52

Dawson’s character, integrity and dedication make him the exceptional human that he is! His future is bright as he will without a doubt make an impact in whatever path he chooses in life.

Guest - Randy on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 05:34

I like this one

I like this one
Guest - Kelly on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 06:15

I believe Dawson deserves this scholarship. He is an all around great young man.

Guest - Nichole Becker on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 06:23

Dawson is an amazing young man! He has been in bands with my daughter for about 5 years now. Such an awesome person with a heart of gold. Dedicated to what he loves and a hard worker willing to go the extra mile!

Guest - Randy on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 07:50

Dawson is a really good person maybe the best I know, he is a man built on what he believes is right. He dosent slack he stays busy. My whole life changed when I met him. He has made it so much better and I really believe he deserves this scholarship. He ill make really good use of it.

Guest - Christian Peterson on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 08:29

Dawson is one of the most hardworking people that I have met who always gives his all for the things he does whether it's for his band, schoolwork, and his job. I believe that Dawson deserves this scholarship.

Guest - Monica Barker on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 08:56

Dawson is a very promising you g man who for sure will make the world a better place in every way. He is kind and humble yet diligent in his work. Giving him this scholarship will not be wasted.

Guest - Aiyana on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 09:19

10/10 would vote again

10/10 would vote again
Guest - Jorja on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 09:31

Such a kind and caring person.

Such a kind and caring person.
Guest - Rhonda Mix on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 09:47

My son is determined to find a way to attend his first choice college Asuza Pacific even after we told him we cannot afford it. He is currently looking into joining the National Guard to help attain this goal. Thank you for considering him for this scholarship!

Guest - Kris Hensley on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 10:50

Dawson has a hard working, kind and passionate personality. He would be a great addition to whatever campus he chooses and this scholarship would help him to do so.

Guest - veronica on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 11:00

dawson is the best give him the scholarship he deserves the entire world

dawson is the best give him the scholarship he deserves the entire world
Guest - Gary Webb on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 11:01

Dawson is a hard working and giving young man who lives his life always thinking of others. We have known Dawson for 5+ years and he continues to impress me with his character. He has a dream of attending Asuza Pacific College and is working part-time while finishing his senior year to help make this a reality. Dawson is a very well rounded young man who loves music and playing in his band, he is athletic, volunteers with the youth at church, and volunteers at Youth Christian Camp. Most importantly to me, he is a great role model for our 12 year old son who looks up to him! I am proud to recommend Dawson for this scholarship as he is very deserving!

Guest - Trin on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 11:05

Dawson is one of the sweetest people I know. He is so talented and extremely smart. He deserves this.

Guest - Steffy on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 11:05

Dawson is a great person inside and outside the classroom. His outstanding qualities make him very deserving of this scholarship!

Guest - Andruwu on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 11:10

U r da best. You deserve this!

U r da best. You deserve this! :D
Guest - Isabella on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 11:12

He's really cool and talkative in our class. (In a good way).

He's really cool and talkative in our class. (In a good way).
Guest - miranda on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 11:17

Dawson is such a nice, caring, and passionate person. He’s incredibly hardworking and always pushes himself to be the best he can in every aspect of his life. I’ve only known him for about a year but he’s one of the most genuine people i’ve ever met. I think he’s beyond deserving of this award and i’m so beyond proud of all he’s accomplished so far!

Guest - Jestin on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 11:34

Dawson is more than worthy of representing this scholarship. He is intelligent, hardworking, dedicated, and kind. Not only is he academically accomplished he is also althletic and have many other talents. He helps his peers in his class to understand hard materials and makes sure to make friends with everyone. He is very charasmetic and respectful. He does all this while balancing many activities. He does band, athletics, and many other club including being the president of FCA. He is very passionate and focused on succeeding. He does all this while also holding a part time job. He takes initiative and is an upstanding honest friend anyone can depend on. These are only a few reasons to why Dawson is worthy of this scholarship.

Guest - Jonathan on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 11:36

A genuinely great and smart guy, always quick to crack a joke and always thinking on his feet on how to solve problems.

Guest - Kelly Stipe on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 11:40

Dawson is an extremely bright, kind, loving young man. He is very respectful of his parents, family & friends. He attends church faithfully & is very talented in many areas. He’s very responsible & follows through with a good work ethic. I can’t think of anyone more deserving of this scholarship.

Guest - Dianne Mix on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 11:44

Dawson Mix is the most caring and supportive person I know. Dawson is punctual and manages his time and responsbilities with dilligence. Motivated to succeed in any task he pursues. With the work Dawson portrays he is well deserving of any reward that may come his way.

Guest - Erica on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 12:21

Dawson is one of the kindest, hardworking , intelligent, and driven people I’ve met. He is a natural born leader and always sets the example inside and outside of class. His humor and positive attitude never fails to put a smile on our faces. I have no doubts that he will do amazing things in the future!

Guest - Garry Mix on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 12:50

Spectacular Person.

Spectacular Person.
Guest - Kimberli on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 12:52

Dawson has always presented himself in a very mature manner. He is a sweet young man that seems ambitious and ready to take that next step in his academic career. I wish him all the luck in his future journeys!

Guest - Ivan G on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 13:13

Dawson is the best candidate here he always tells me when I leave hair in my food in culinary class. #RealMVP

Guest - Megan Miller on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 13:30

Dawson Mix is an incredible friend and young man. He is a prosperous in his studies which will certainly carry over when he begins his higher education in college. Dawson is diligent in all that he does, he puts his heart and soul into all of his works. His ability to overcome the obstacles that he faces, while still aiding to those around him really shows that he is a true leader. Dawson Mix deserves this scholorship.

Guest - Chloe Carpenter on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 13:51

I’ve known Dawson since Freshman English Honors. He is the most down to earth person you will ever meet. I have never seen a frown on his face. He constantly goes out of his way to help others and make anyone’s day better. He’s an amazing person and I’m so fortunate to call him one of my good friends.

Guest - Cheryl on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 14:34

Dawson is one of the best kids my daughter has meet at our church. He is an amazing individual who helps those around him and is constantly involved in extracurricular activities. I could not think of anyone more deserving of this scholorship.

Guest - Greg on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 14:47

I’ve know Dawson for 4 years now. He’s one of the most respectful kids I know. He opens doors for ladies. He says thanks for everything. I know he has a goal set on attending a college in Southern California. I hope he gets the chance to attend.

Guest - Mykaila on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 14:52

Dawson is a stellar boy with one of the warmest hearts you’ll find. He’s insanely driven and goal oriented and there’s nothing you can tell him he can’t do. He is intelligent, kind, caring, and outgoing. You’ll never leave a conversation with him without a smile on your face. He is truly a great peer and most deserving of this scholarship.

Guest - Tristhan on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 15:08

He's an amazing scholar!

He's an amazing scholar!
Guest - Josh Taylor on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 15:09

Dawson is a great student. Has great grades and I would like to help him anyway I can to get to college.

Guest - Anonymous on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 15:27

This guy is an amazing role model! Even after getting sick and missing school for a whole semester he was determined to be successful in high school. His grades all dropped trmendously but by the end of that year he had gotten them back up almost to where they started. He even has earned a 4.0 gpa recently. I aspire to be as determined as Dawson. Nothing can stop him from going after his goals!

Guest - Anna Silva on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 15:45

Dawson is an awesome young man. I feel more than deserves this scholarship award!!!!!!

Guest - Mrs. Sizemore on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 15:57

Dawson is our neighbor. From the first time I met him he displayed his Christian values and offered to help us out with anything we needed. He is a fine young man from a great family.

Guest - C. Halcomb on Tuesday, 02 April 2019 16:04

Dawson is a great kid! Always happy, always smiling. He definitely deserves this!

Guest
Wednesday, 23 October 2019

Captcha Image

Female student in library

Full Details

This scholarship is open to students currently enrolled as a senior in high school in San Joaquin County for the 2019 graduating year. Students may be enrolled in public or private schools, or be home-schooled. Nominations must be successfully uploaded to the entry page by midnight on March 31, 2019.

To be considered for the scholarship, all students must be nominated by a teacher, coach, guidance counselor, pastor, or youth leader (immediate family members and relatives are not eligible to submit nominations). Nominations will be posted on the contest website and receive community feedback during the period from April 1-15, 2019.

One scholarship winner will be chosen by Brookside Optometric Group doctors based on their nomination and community feedback. The scholarship and funds will be presented to the winner in person in early May 2019—exact date to be determined by the winner.

Brookside Optometric Group doctors are committed to you and your eye health, and to the community we share. From college scholarship contests like this one to medical mission trips around the globe, we believe in giving back and making a difference.

Learn more about Community Involvement at Brookside Optometric Group